Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A State of Jane by Meredith Schorr


Title: A State of Jane
 
Author: Meredith Schorr

Publisher: Booktrope

Published Date: September 5, 2012 


Buy on Amazon: Paperback & Kindle

Author Website:
http://meredithschorr.com/






Synopsis:

Jane Frank is ready to fall in love. It's been a year since her long term relationship ended and far too long since the last time she was kissed. With the LSAT coming up she needs to find a long term boyfriend (or husband) before acing law school and becoming a partner at her father's law firm. There's just one problem: all the guys in New York are flakes. They seemingly drop off the face of the earth with no warning and no explanation. Should she join her best friend Marissa in singlehood, making cupcakes and watching True Blood? Or should she follow her co-worker Andrew's advice and turn the game back on those who've scorned her? As Jane attempts to juggle her own responsibilities and put up with the problems of everyone around her, she starts to realize that the dating life isn't as easy as she originally thought.



My Thoughts:

 
Meredith Schorr's, A State of Jane, is a hilariously funny Chick Lit novel that I loved from beginning to end.  I must confess that I have been on a Chick Lit bender lately, I can't seem to get enough of the lighthearted reads.  I have found that when my life gets crazy insane, I tend to gravitate towards various Chick Lit novels to destress.  And let me tell you, the novels I have been reading the last few months are doing the trick!  Meredith Schorr's, A State of Jane, was no different- I picked it up to read and immediately was transported to present day New York City as Jane looked for love.    

A State of Jane began a year after Jane broke up with her seemingly perfect boyfriend, Bob.  After waiting a year to jump back into the dating scene, Jane decides that it is time to get back on the horse.  How hard could finding a nice guy in NYC be, anyway?  As readers discover, next to impossible!  Jane finds herself in the midst of dating failure after failure with e-Harmony disasters, Sports Bar fiascoes, and Speed Dating craziness.  As her relationship hopes are dashed with each loser guy she has the misfortune to meet, Jane starts to realize that she has been looking at dating all wrong.  No longer did Jane want to be the sweet girl who was constantly loved and then left.  Instead she would harden her heart and become the heart breaker, the dumper instead of the dumpee.

Meredith Schorr's, A State of Jane, had many hilarious dating scenarios as well as great scenes with her friends.  I really liked Jane's roommate Lainie and the way she changed from the beginning of the novel to the end.  A Southern Belle, Lainie moved to NYC and met Jane through a Craigslist 'Roommate Wanted' ad.  Lainie is cynical about love but finds the dating world exciting.  She is not looking for a relationship and is enjoying the perks of her single status.  To Jane's shock, Lainie is constantly bringing a new man home with her.  However, as Jane gets more discouraged about the dating scene, Lainie seems to find love without looking for it.  This puts an odd stress on Jane and Lanie's relationship as they find their roles reversing.

Meredith Schorr's, A State of Jane, is a smile worthy and heartwarming read that is the perfect concoction for all Chick Lit lovers. I read A State of Jane in one evening while my husband was immersed in WWE (I definitely had the better evening!)  I really enjoyed how Schorr ended the novel, not how I expected at all!  I'm holding out hope that Schorr will be writing A State of Jane part 2 so that I can see what (and who!) Jane does next.   Do yourself a favor and make time to enjoy this spunky novel!


Meredith Schorr

Booktrope has provided me with a complimentary copy of the book, A State of Jane, for the purpose of review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing A State of Jane, Candace. I'm so happy you enjoyed the book! And, yes, I am planning on a sequel :)

    ReplyDelete